a beginning of an awesome adventure!

a beginning of an awesome adventure!

Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Prestige

Have you guys seen The Prestige? The movie about magic??(Rajen and Lam - you'll find this particularly good because of the magic tricks in it as well) Haha I'm sure most of you guys have, and you have to agree with me that its a fantastic movie. I just watched it again, and I have to tell you that this is one of the few movies that just begs to be watched again. It might leave you a little confused at first, and that is whats so intriguing about it. Trust me though, the second time you watch it, you'll realize how everything seamlessly connects. And this movie does something that not many can - it diminishes the thin fine line between good and evil. Who do you think is the bad guy here? Most other movies you can easily tell, but in this movie, you start hating one guy, but towards the end, you're not sure if he's the bad one anymore.

There are also many references here to real magicians - a famous magician named Ching Ling Foo (early 1900s) had a bitter rivalry with another guy that stole his act and tried to make it better. He even named himself close to the real guy - Chung Ling Soo. He made his life an act to pull off his magic - although completely able to speak English, he pretended he could not even out in public and off stage. Actually, the novel that this movie is based on borrows heavily from this rivalry.

Just like Memento, this movie has some crazy chronological editing in it (Christopher Nolan directed that as well, so go figure). I guess I have a passion to learn as much as I can about stuff I really enjoy ie music, certain movies, computers etc and just because.. say I dont know all the capital cities in the world, it doesnt make me unintellectual. And with a blog like this, I can share stuff that I find interesting with you guys :)

Enough of a rant from me for now. Make sure you go watch this movie. If you already have, tell me what you think about it :)

3 comments:

lick knee. said...

did someone call you unintellectual?
you seem to be adamant about defending that.
hehehe.

either way, yes. the prestige was good. christopher nolan is awesome. I believe his take on batman was spot on (and should be for the upcoming Dark Knight).
Typical movies nowadays have devolved into something very formulaic, with very clear cut rules for what is good and bad. Nolan does good work with
portraying the conflicted protagonist - making sure you (the viewer) is as conflicted as the characters presented.

On another note, please do watch Hot Fuzz.

el_fuser said...

go watch 'the departed' too. great movie...

V|vac|ous said...

Yes Departed v good ! Yes who called u unintellectual ?
Nice write up !

we'll roarsss ur socks off!!! AUUUUmmmmmm